Welcome to the fourth and final week of the new Community feature here on Gaming Union called New Game Plus
! The idea is to play an awesome game with the additional bonus of knowing that there's a whole group of people in the GU community at exactly at the same point as you! What a <em>plus</em>!
Founding on the basic premise of an bookclub, but with video games instead of books, New Game Plus gives participants a pre-determined checkpoint each week in an ongoing game. From this point you have a whole week to complete the section and join in the discussion with other people. Anyone taking part can post to discuss every and anything about the game, whether that be the amazing dialogue, the infuriating boss battles, or the sense of humour of the director; everything goes, so long as it is relevant to the section which the group are playing that week. And don't forget, there's no point playing along and then not joining in the discussion! There's no plus to that!
We take it for granted as gamers that everyone has an opinion on a trailer, review or of a game as a finished product, but New Game Plus tries to introduce a rare occasion for to take a much more detailed look at a game while you're playing. As we have a set amount to play each week, it gives community members the chance to think a little bit more about what they're liking or loathing, or if they've played the game before, experiment with different ways to complete something they're already familiar with.
This is the final week of this series of New Game Plus and I think it's safe to say that the majority of our participants have had a lot of fun. Don't feel sad if you've missed out, as the previous weekly threads are still available to peruse over in case you want to feel a little closer to us! Or maybe you wanna speedrun the whole game in a week? You can do it, we're all rooting for you! We've been playing the stealth classic Metal Gear Solid
over the last month!
Last time on "New Game Plus - Metal Gear Solid"...
Otacon: You're incredible... Like a movie hero or something.
Snake: No... You're wrong. In the movies, the hero always saves the girl...
Otacon: ...You mean Meryl? ...Sorry... Forget I said anything... Snake, there's something I've really got to ask you. It's why I followed you up this far... Have you ever... Loved someone?
Snake: That's what you came to ask?
Otacon: No, I mean... I... I was wondering if even soldiers fall in love...
Snake: What are you trying to say?
Otacon: I wanna ask you... Do you think love can bloom even on a battlefield?
Snake: Yeah... I do. I think at any time, any place... People can fall in love with each other. But... If you love someone, you have to be able to protect them...
Otacon: I think so too.
Starting off in the awkward position of Meryl bleeding on the floor and Snake pinned into a corner by Sniper Wolf, our trusty hero found himself having to backtrack all the way back to the Armoury to pick up a Sniper Rifle himself. Whether or not people sidetracked to grab more equipment was entirely up to them, but back in battle, it didn't take long before the frankly ill-dressed Sniper Wolf fell. Unfortunately for Snake, that didn't help him evade capture and he was swiftly dragged off to be tortured. Tortured by Liquid Snake's speeches, that is.
After inflicting RSI on ourselves at the hands (or should that be hand?) of Revolver Ocelot, Snake manages to break his way out of capture, generally at the expense of poor Johnny. Once free, he returns to his mission of bringing down Metal Gear Rex, and heads to the Communication Towers. After playing kiss chase with a whole regiment of guards while climbing the tower, Snake finds himself faced by a little surprise at the top. Liquid's got himself a Hind and he isn't afraid to use it. After rappelling to relative safety, Snake climbs to the top of the second tower where he single handedly takes down the chopper with a Stinger. After an awkward conversation with Otacon, Snake finds himself in an even more awkward position of "small talk" in the elevator. Ho Hum.
Once that's taken care of, Snake finds himself arriving at the Snowfield, which holds a hidden passage to the underground base holding Rex somewhere. Before even beginning the search, Snake gets called out by a bullet straight from Sniper Wolf. They battle, for the last time, and Wolf falls, much to the distress of the lovestruck Otacon. After replenishing your inventory stock, Snake makes his way forward on to the second disc of the game...
- You can play this game either with an original PSX disc, or via the PSN store download ($9.99 USD). I hear that it's also available on PC! It's entirely up to you. Try to avoid playing Twin Snakes, because the selected weekly break ups won't make for an even playthrough as it's a slightly different version.
- A new thread will go up each Tuesday telling you what the next check point is. All discussion for each section must go in the relevant threads. Previous threads will remain open for some time in order to let people catch up and let the conversation continue.
- You MUST resist playing on past the scheduled check points. For these discussion threads to work we need to all be at the same point in the game. Besides, it's not in the spirit of this activity.
- DO NOT post spoilers for things that haven't happened in the game yet. We love that you're enthusiastic about it, but some people will be playing this for the first time.
- However, you CAN post spoilers for anything that happens within the given section of the game, so long as you use tags [ spoiler][/spoiler ] to protect those still playing through it.
- Talk about anything and everything! Story is just one aspect to this game (though a very important one), but if you love the music or hate the map, then speak up! Get a little more specific and in depth than usual!
- If you get hopelessly stuck, feel free to say so in this thread as soon as you can, and I can guarantee that there'll be a whole bunch of people willing to offer up their strategies or tips.
- On the converse, feel free to challenge yourself if you've played the game a billion times before! Suggested challenges could be No Kills or No Alerts.
- Remember to HAVE FUN!
We've split Metal Gear Solid into four sections. This is Week 4: THE FINAL WEEK!
The checkpoint which you need to play up to is:
The End of the Game! (Head to the Underground Base and deactivate Rex).
Inside the following spoiler tags is a slightly more in depth description of all the locations you go through before you get to this point, just to dispel any confusion:
Blast Furnace, Warehouse, Underground base
ALL DISCUSSION FOR WEEK 4 IN THIS THREAD.
Also if you need any clarification of the guidelines then please ask!
Have fun stealthing guys!
Just want to take a short moment to say a huge thank you everyone that has taken part in this first New Game Plus. I consider it to be really successful, and I hope that you've all had as much fun playing along with everyone else as I have.
For this final week I'd like to ask you to report back on the following: Which ending you got and all the details from your final ranking (Codename, play time, kill count, alerts, etc). It would also be nice to hear about what your favourite section of game was and your overall reflection on playing Metal Gear Solid with New Game Plus.