Welcome to the third season of Gaming Union's community event New Game Plus
! Think of it like a video game bookclub; each week Unionites will all take on the same game and play through to a pre-determined checkpoint. It's just like playing a game normally, but plus
the GU community! The idea of the feature is to encourage in depth discussion about games in general but pushes people to focus on small sections of one title at a time. This can create a space where we can be more analytical or critical about game design or mechanics. No conversation topic is barred, but you must remember to do your homework to keep up with everyone else!
This is the first week in a new season of New Game Plus
, the community is just about to set off on the adventure of Tomb Raider: Legend
. This game goes back to the roots of Lara Croft, and sees her trying to recover a South American relic. Of course, there's going to be a bump or two in the road, and more than a few adversaries along the way...
Seeing as this is our first week, there's no excuse not to join in, whether or not you've participated in New Game Plus before! Look below to check out the guidelines to participate and for details of where to start from and where the next checkpoint in the game will be. Make sure to come back regularly to let us know how you're finding the game!
We're hoping to split Tomb Raider: Legend into four sections. This is Week 1!
The checkpoint which you need to play up to is:
Go through Chapters 1 & 2
(Bolivia & Peru)
Inside the following spoiler tags is a slightly more in depth description of all the locations you go through before you get to this point, just to dispel any confusion:
Make your way to the temple, taking care of the enemies along the way.
Navigate the dangers & solve the puzzles to get to the central chamber.
Meet the less than friendly Rutland.
After jetting to Peru, meet with Anaya in the marketplace.
Take care of the mercenaries through the streets.
Acquire a motorcycle & catch up with Anaya's Jeep.
In the flashback, head into the excavation tunnels.
Run from the demon & meet Amanda at the door .
Back in present, swim through the flooded chamber.
Find the broken ceremonial sword.
Meet Anaya & send Lara to Japan!
Once unlocked, it's recommended to play Croft Manor as it gives you a chance to get used to the controls!
ALL DISCUSSION FOR WEEK 1 IN THIS THREAD.
(Previously: Introduction Thread
All previous New Game Plus threads can be found in the dedicated section on the forums!
Also if you need any clarification of the guidelines then please ask!
Have fun exploring, guys!
- You can play almost any version of this game! The only ones that aren't allowed (due to the game and story being very different from the others) are for Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS. Many community members have also warned about the terrible control system in the PlayStation Portable version.
- A new thread will go up each Thursday telling you where the next check point is. All discussion for each section must go in the relevant threads. Previous threads will remain open to let people catch up and let the conversation continue if they're a little behind or joined late.
- You MUST resist playing on past the scheduled check points. I know it's sometimes too tempting, but for these discussion threads to work we need to all be at the same point in the game. Besides, it's not in the spirit of this activity!
- Please don't post spoilers for things that haven't happened in the game yet. We love that you're enthusiastic about it, but some people will be playing for the first time.
- However, you CAN post spoilers for anything that happens within the given section of the game. It would be thoughtful to use the [ spoiler][/spoiler ] tags to protect those still playing through, but it's not strictly necessary.
- There are no topics off limits here, so talk about anything and everything! Story is just one aspect, but if you love the sound design or hate the map, then speak up! Get a little more specific and in depth than usual! And yes, if you want to talk about Lara's butt, that's fine too.
- If you find yourself lost or stuck on a puzzle, post into this thread! The good thing with NGP is that people are playing alongside you and will remember exactly how to help you out!
- On the other side of the coin, if you've played this game before, feel free to take on a challenge. Tomb Raider: Legend has Time Trials so maybe try your hand at that? You could also use this as a clean up run, to get all the trophies/rewards to 100% the game.
- Remember to HAVE FUN!