Hello again, and welcome to Gaming Union's community feature New Game Plus
! The premise is exactly the same as that of a bookclub, but with video games; each week Unionites will all play through to a pre-determined checkpoint of the same game. It's just like playing a game normally, but plus
a whole bunch more fun and discussion with your good ol' community pals! The feature invites in depth discussion about video games, bringing focus on small sections of one title at a time. This can create a space where video gaming fans can be more analytical or critical about any of the many game design areas. No conversation topic is barred, but you must remember to do your homework to keep up with everyone else!
Week two of this season of New Game Plus
will see the community jetting off to Japan & West Ghana, in Tomb Raider: Legend
. Ms Croft has already had her fair share of puzzles to solve and goons to shoot, so we can only hope that this week of adventuring goes much better for her. Knowing the Tomb Raider series, it's fairly unlikely it'll be a relaxing vacation...
This is our second week with Lara Croft, so it's still not too late to catch up and play along with everyone else! Check out the guidelines below on how to participate and for details of where to start from and where the next checkpoint in the game will be. Make sure to come back regularly to let us know how you're finding the game!
We're hoping to split Tomb Raider: Legend into four sections. This is Week 2!
The checkpoint which you need to play up to is:
Go through Chapters 3 & 4
(Japan & Ghana (West Africa))
Inside the following spoiler tags is a slightly more in depth description of all the locations you go through before you get to this point, just to dispel any confusion:
Meet with Nishimura then "negotiate" Takamoto.
Take care of the thugs, then head up to the roof.
Take the motorcycle over to the other building.
Lots of climbing. Lots of thugs. You know the drill.
Reach Takamoto's home after some climbing & more murdering.
Defeat Takamoto in the boss fight.
Travel to Ghana in pursuit of Rutland.
Perform an epic swan dive in front of the waterfall.
Uncover the hidden temple.
Make your way through all the jammed traps.
Take care of Rutland's goons in the waterwheel room.
Unjam the first waterwheel.
Climb up and through the flooded rooms.
Use the switch so you can activate the other waterwheel!
Make your way through the now activate traps.
Continue to climb upwards through the ruin killing more guards.
Meet Rutland & relieve him of his sword fragment in a boss fight.
Leave on your motorcycle & go to Kazakhstan.
ALL DISCUSSION FOR WEEK 2 IN THIS THREAD.
(Previously: Introduction Thread
, Week 1
All previous New Game Plus threads can be found in the dedicated section on the forums!
Also if you need any clarification of the guidelines then please ask!
Have fun exploring, guys!
- You can play almost any version of this game! The only ones that aren't allowed (due to the game and story being very different from the others) are for Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS. Many community members have also warned about the terrible control system in the PlayStation Portable version.
- A new thread will go up each Thursday telling you where the next check point is. All discussion for each section must go in the relevant threads. Previous threads will remain open to let people catch up and let the conversation continue if they're a little behind or joined late.
- You MUST resist playing on past the scheduled check points. I know it's sometimes too tempting, but for these discussion threads to work we need to all be at the same point in the game. Besides, it's not in the spirit of this activity!
- Please don't post spoilers for things that haven't happened in the game yet. We love that you're enthusiastic about it, but some people will be playing for the first time.
- However, you CAN post spoilers for anything that happens within the given section of the game. It would be thoughtful to use the [ spoiler][/spoiler ] tags to protect those still playing through, but it's not strictly necessary.
- There are no topics off limits here, so talk about anything and everything! Story is just one aspect, but if you love the sound design or hate the map, then speak up! Get a little more specific and in depth than usual! And yes, if you want to talk about Lara's butt, that's fine too.
- If you find yourself lost or stuck on a puzzle, post into this thread! The good thing with NGP is that people are playing alongside you and will remember exactly how to help you out!
- On the other side of the coin, if you've played this game before, feel free to take on a challenge. Tomb Raider: Legend has Time Trials so maybe try your hand at that? You could also use this as a clean up run, to get all the trophies/rewards to 100% the game.
- Remember to HAVE FUN!