Hello and welcome to week three of the third season of Gaming Union's community event New Game Plus
! Think of it like a video game bookclub; each week Unionites will all take on the same game and play through to a pre-determined checkpoint. It's just like playing a game normally, but plus
the GU community! The idea of the feature is to encourage in-depth discussion about games in general but pushes people to focus on small sections of one title at a time. This can create a space where we can be more analytical or critical about game design or mechanics. No conversation topic is barred, but you must remember to do your homework to keep up with everyone else!
This is the third week of the current New Game Plus
game, which is Tomb Raider: Legend
. This week, Lara is storming through Russian compounds, frozen laboratories, meeting old friends and legends, desecrating coffins and fighting some truly ugly beasts...
This is the penultimate week for this season, but feel free to catch up with everybody! Everyone is welcome to read all the discussions, whether or not you've participated in New Game Plus before! Maybe it'll convince you to join in next time! Check out below for the guidelines to participate and details of where to start from and where the next checkpoint in the game will be. Make sure to come back regularly to let us know how you're finding the game!
We're hoping to split Tomb Raider: Legend into four sections. This is Week 3!
The checkpoint which you need to play up to is:
Go through Chapters 5 & 6
(Kazakhstan & England)
Inside the following spoiler tags is a slightly more in depth description of all the locations you go through before you get to this point, just to dispel any confusion:
Take care of everyone trying to kill you in the compound.
Get to the command centre.
Chase the train.
Travel through the frozen laboratories.
Start up the generator & avoid the toxic gas.
Climb the tesla gun and navigate more toxin filled corridors.
Move the electric core along the tracks.
Find the shield & map, before jumping in the gun tower.
Meet Amanda again then reactivate all the switches while avoiding the monster.
Travel to less exotic Cornwall.
Enter the museum.
Find the Cenotaph & secret passage.
Use the forklift to drive through the spike traps.
Travel down the crumbling room.
Avoid flame & spinning blade traps.
Desecrate someone's coffin by using it on the pressure plate.
Go through the flooded passages.
Climb into the tomb.
Get another fragment of the sword.
Fight the Hydra.
Go all the way back up to the entrance, taking care of mercenaries as you go.
Reunite with your team & head back home.
ALL DISCUSSION FOR WEEK 3 IN THIS THREAD.
(Previously: Introduction Thread
, Week 1
, Week 2
All previous New Game Plus threads can be found in the dedicated section on the forums!
Also if you need any clarification of the guidelines then please ask!
Have fun exploring, guys!
- You can play almost any version of this game! The only ones that aren't allowed (due to the game and story being very different from the others) are for Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS. Many community members have also warned about the terrible control system in the PlayStation Portable version.
- A new thread will go up each Thursday telling you where the next check point is. All discussion for each section must go in the relevant threads. Previous threads will remain open to let people catch up and let the conversation continue if they're a little behind or joined late.
- You MUST resist playing on past the scheduled check points. I know it's sometimes too tempting, but for these discussion threads to work we need to all be at the same point in the game. Besides, it's not in the spirit of this activity!
- Please don't post spoilers for things that haven't happened in the game yet. We love that you're enthusiastic about it, but some people will be playing for the first time.
- However, you CAN post spoilers for anything that happens within the given section of the game. It would be thoughtful to use the [ spoiler][/spoiler ] tags to protect those still playing through, but it's not strictly necessary.
- There are no topics off limits here, so talk about anything and everything! Story is just one aspect, but if you love the sound design or hate the map, then speak up! Get a little more specific and in depth than usual! And yes, if you want to talk about Lara's butt, that's fine too.
- If you find yourself lost or stuck on a puzzle, post into this thread! The good thing with NGP is that people are playing alongside you and will remember exactly how to help you out!
- On the other side of the coin, if you've played this game before, feel free to take on a challenge. Tomb Raider: Legend has Time Trials so maybe try your hand at that? You could also use this as a clean up run, to get all the trophies/rewards to 100% the game.
- Remember to HAVE FUN!