Kid
The Demon from the North Sea...
Moderators
Recently Collected
3DSProject X Zone
PS3Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
PS3PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
April 17, 2013 03:58:08 PM   

This debate has raged for sometime now. Both sides have very good thoughts about why video games are or are not pieces of art. The question is, which side do you take? Do you think video games are like literature, paintings, and films, or do you consider them more similar to board games? Or are you in the middle, not agreeing that video games are wholly art, but having art aspects to them?

[Image: scaled.php?server=201&filename=k...es=landing]
PSN: Razgriz247 Steam: Razgriz247
Find all posts by this user Find all threads by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Waldo Lang Schnitzeldong
Grossly Incandescent
April 17, 2013 09:47:04 PM   

The problem I have with this debate (at least from what I've seen) is that the naysayers seem to be stuck on this black and white view where it has to either be all games are art or no games are art.

A game like Braid I would consider to be a game wrapped in the package of art. The narrative as well as the audio and visual aspects are all artistic but it still plays like a traditional game (although the time rewinding mechanic fits into the narrative).

There are other games that are a little less "gamey" and function more like interactive art pieces. It can possibly raise the issue of a game ceasing to be a game instead becoming just an interactive experience (but that's a discussion for another day).

I don't think video games are inherently art but I think the video game medium can be used to create art.

[Image: 2aYTetu.png]

bluedemon
New Recruit
Recently Collected
PS3Grand Theft Auto IV
PS2Final Fantasy XII
PS2Final Fantasy X
April 18, 2013 12:53:04 PM   

I think some games can be considered art. I personally would never consider a game like Call of Duty to be "art" but I also think that "art" is really in the eye of the beholder. What one may consider art another may not. For me personally think of art as something that someone else created for the simple pleasure of looking at and appreciating. Based on that very simple thought I come to my own conclusion that since I enjoy looking at video games and I appreciate them, then I can consider them "art" and I think some games are more art then others.

PSN ~ bluedemon82384
Xbox 360 ~ bluedemon82384
Steam ~ bluedemon82384

hunter
New Recruit
April 22, 2013 04:27:12 AM   

Yes. By art I mean mainly storyline, world created in game, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...

Thread: Replies: Last Post
Tropes Vs Women in Video Games, edumacated response! 3 July 30, 2013 09:57:45 AM
Last Post: SapphireWolf
Protective of Video Games? 16 May 11, 2012 09:46:39 PM
Last Post: Laguz
GAME British Academy Video Games Awards 2012 2 March 17, 2012 01:04:16 PM
Last Post: Sam