The Demon from the North Sea...
Moderators
Recently Collected
3DSProject X Zone
PS3Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
PS3PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
September 15, 2013 11:09:17 PM   

[Image: k1fy.png]

Welcome back to the eighth season of GU @ the Movies. For those who don't know, GU @ the Movies is a community event where the community watches the same film within a certain time frame and then discuss it with other members. No topic is barred from discussion, as long as it is relevant.

This season is going to be a little different. Since during the last season the community watched the Prequel trilogy for Star Wars, it would only seem fitting to finish up the series by watching the Original Trilogy. After this season, we'll go back to randomizing the choices to pick a film, but for now, we'll be watching three films again. Just like last season, each film will get two weeks, like a standard GU @ the Movies. However, all discussions will be held in this thread, and there will be one podcast recorded to sum up the entire Original Trilogy, and maybe discuss our thoughts of the Star Wars series as a whole. Here's the breakdown:

Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope (Rated PG) - September 15 to September 28
Star Wars: Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back (Rated PG) - September 29 to October 12
Star Wars: Episode 6: The Return of the Jedi (Rated PG) - October 13 to October 26
GU @ the Movies - Star Wars: The Original Trilogy podcast recording - Planned for October 28

There will definitely be spoilers, so if you haven't seen any of the movies yet, don't read the thread if you don't want to.

So what are you waiting for? Get your hands on a copy of the trilogy and look forward to watching it! Feel free to post your comments here on your feelings about the trilogy or GU @ the Movies! Also let me know if you have any questions on things I haven't yet covered and I'll do my best to answer everything here.

PS: There's many versions of the Original trilogy, ranging from the original release to re-releases on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray, each with their own differences. Don't worry, as most of these changes are relatively minor and don't impact the overall story in anyway. However, if you want to compare between the versions...XD

[Image: scaled.php?server=201&filename=k...es=landing]
PSN: Razgriz247 Steam: Razgriz247
Find all posts by this user Find all threads by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Roxas21691
Trophy Hunter of GU
Moderators
Recently Collected
PS3Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster
PS3Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
PS3Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
September 21, 2013 06:00:33 PM   

Now this looks promising Big Grin time to see the remaining episodes of this awesome serie ^^

[Image: 102pkk6.png]

Kid
Moderators
Recently Collected
3DSProject X Zone
September 26, 2013 11:46:47 PM   

So...Just finished Episode IV...

Several gripes...For one, how does Uncle Owen know so much about Luke's father and how does he not recognize C-3PO? I know that he had gray plating in Episode 2, but it's not like his voice has changed. And also in Episode 2, he and Anakin didn't have that much dialogue between the two...

Then there's Obi-Wan not recognizing either R2-D2 or 3PO, despite definitely fighting alongside them during the Clone Wars.

Then there's the lack of blaster marks on the armor that Han and Luke acquire after killing the stormtroopers when they boarded the Falcon...

I did like the fact that they did bring the Prequel with the Original with the droids, with their former owner being Antilles, who was in Episode 3...And no, there is no relationship between that Antilles and Wedge Antilles, who appears during the Death Star battle covering Luke and bugging out after getting one of his engines shot.

For the film that started it all, yes, it might have been good for its time. But I don't think it holds the same awe that it did when it first came out. I think possibly Episode 5 may hold that claim. 4 is still watchable (unlike 1), but it's not the best.

To do more connecting to the Prequel series, the Falcon appears in Episode 3 if you look carefully enough. Also, the V-wings and the Jedi Interceptor of Episode 3 are what you could call the precursors of the TIE series of star fighters. There are many similarities between the ships.

If there is one great thing I can say about Episode 4, it's a great film to do the comparison between the "past" and the "future." Also...Clone troopers are better than stormtroopers...XD

SapphireWolf
September 27, 2013 12:38:33 PM   

i thought clone troopers were supposed to be the explanation of the origin of the stormtroopers

[Image: sapphirewolfSignature2.gif]

Kid
Moderators
Recently Collected
3DSProject X Zone
September 27, 2013 12:55:04 PM   

(September 27, 2013 12:38:33 PM)SapphireWolf Wrote:  i thought clone troopers were supposed to be the explanation of the origin of the stormtroopers

By the time of the Empire, clone troopers were phased out. The job of the clone troopers were to eliminate the Jedi. The job of the stormtroopers (who were mostly enlisted members or clones from different templates by the time of Episode 4, with only the 501st Legion being the last Fett clone-majority battalion during Imperial reign) was to enforce Imperial rule. The idea of the stormtroopers follow the Tarkin Doctrine, which was to rule through fear of force, rather than force itself (one of the main points for building the Death Star). Stormtroopers did not need to be the best soldiers that could exist as long as people feared them. Clone troopers had to be trained in order to eventually eliminate the Jedi Order. Two different purposes for two different set of troops. So while yes, the clone troopers did lead to the stormtroopers, it did not lead to a better fighting force, from 12BBY to 0BBY and later.

Kid
Moderators
Recently Collected
3DSProject X Zone
October 12, 2013 04:51:10 PM   

So...Empire Strikes back...I used to not enjoy this one as a kid, but I appreciate it more now. This is the one movie where watching the prequels will definitely spoil the plot twist in this film. And hey! Boba still has Slave I, even after all these years...This is the one film that things get extremely dark for our characters.

I do have some issues with it...How the frak did the Empire get to Bespin before the Falcon? If Boba was following them, he wouldn't know their final location until they arrived there. How did the Falcon not sense any Imperial ships if they arrived there beforehand? Why do the blaster bolts from Han's weapon not damage Vader's hands more than they do, when we compare blasts in other movies, including Empire, where Boba's weapon managed to put a good-sized hole in a wall... Yeah...

Beyhan
Super Moderators
Recently Collected
PCF1 Race Stars
PCHotline Miami
PCBorderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty
October 12, 2013 09:41:46 PM   

Empire to me is the least Star Wars'y movie to me, even though it is my favorite!

It was the first movie that wasn't written by George and it shows really well! At the end of the day, it is a chase movie that shows the true might of the Empire. No matter where the rebels are, the empire is there getting ready to kill them!

PSN ID: juxtor
Twitter | Tumblr
[Image: 9aNAnKf.jpg]

Kid
Moderators
Recently Collected
3DSProject X Zone
October 12, 2013 09:56:04 PM   

(October 12, 2013 09:41:46 PM)Beyhan Wrote:  Empire to me is the least Star Wars'y movie to me, even though it is my favorite!

It was the first movie that wasn't written by George and it shows really well! At the end of the day, it is a chase movie that shows the true might of the Empire. No matter where the rebels are, the empire is there getting ready to kill them!

See, that's an issue. For all the might of the Empire, they spend a good chuck of it on th Falcon, yet fail to capture most of our heroes. They also failed to stop the Rebellion, which undermines the power of the Empire.

Beyhan
Super Moderators
Recently Collected
PCF1 Race Stars
PCHotline Miami
PCBorderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty
October 12, 2013 10:06:44 PM   

(October 12, 2013 09:56:04 PM)Kid Wrote:  See, that's an issue. For all the might of the Empire, they spend a good chuck of it on th Falcon, yet fail to capture most of our heroes. They also failed to stop the Rebellion, which undermines the power of the Empire.

That's true. At the end of the day, the only guy who gets his man is Boba and all he did was stand in the corner holding his weapon. Tongue

PSN ID: juxtor
Twitter | Tumblr
[Image: 9aNAnKf.jpg]

Kid
Moderators
Recently Collected
3DSProject X Zone
October 25, 2013 10:24:11 PM   

So...the last film of this bunch and last film chronologically in terms of the Star Wars timeline...

The Return of the Jedi...What can I say...I still think this is my favorite of the Original Trilogy. I enjoyed the lightsaber duels, the lightsaber combat, and space battles. I know people will say Empire Strikes Back is better, but I enjoy Jedi more...I could do without the Ewoks though...

Fun fact: Even though the Death Star was destroyed and the Emperor was "killed," the Galactic Civil War continued on for about another 15 years.

Possibly Related Threads...

Thread: Replies: Last Post
GU @ the Movies ReDux- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy 9 April 21, 2014 12:53:29 PM
Last Post: Kid
GU @ the Movies - Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy 29 August 31, 2013 07:05:55 PM
Reminiscing Star Wars Before Disney Came Along (SPOILERS) 0 April 04, 2013 01:59:47 AM