GamingUnion.net

Community

Paying for games standpoint?

straightshot
New Recruit
October 09, 2013 09:58:49 AM   

What is the general consensus here...?
Do you feel that games should be paid for and that its necessary for the game industry to continue to grow and produce good games? Or are you more of the opinion that the industry itself is a dying field and it doesnt matter so much?
How about "in-game" buying - like upgrades and the likes?

Find all posts by this user Find all threads by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Sam
Ugh.
Super Moderators
Recently Collected
PCSouth Park: The Stick of Truth
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Resogun
October 09, 2013 10:25:13 AM   

*moved to Current Gaming Chat*

Sam's song of the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gf5bXR-Ucg
Sam's video of the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgtL5Neb9yU

I like sports as well as games:
[Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: mwxloi.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: sqjhfp.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: 2zxw9rt.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: ej6k5z.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: 29p84sy.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: 15vxbp.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: 34j595l.png][Image: 2ljqej4.png][Image: zq3is.png][Image: jtuijk.png][Image: anngpe.png][Image: 2wqv2ns.png][Image: 2lwuh5u.png][Image: hrbszn.png][Image: 2qmozl5.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: 3507apt.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: 29opnrr.png][Image: 5plgd2.png][Image: 10zr79f.png][Image: 5plgd2.png]
PSN | Steam | Profile | Rules | Staff
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Find all threads by this user

sweet-devil
New Recruit
October 09, 2013 04:18:34 PM   

Of course games should be paid for, how else will developers profit from making games?

Oh right, microtransactions. Which completely suck ass.

SapphireWolf
October 10, 2013 11:58:45 AM   

micro transactions = fail (don't like the guy that came up with that idea)

outside of that paying for a game like Sweet-Devil said helps to give them a deserved profit of they're hard work. subscription based helps to maintain and encourage the development of future content.

the place that honestly you run into debate is DLC although i see it as a great way to get more content the question is how do you justify it. it is technically the same game. the content is not necessarily new (just side stories or such). so how do you justify the content.

i will say thins though i am highly against pay to win transactions. if it is not available to get via grinding do not offer it to people for money.

but i have no problem with free to play. pay to enhance. you want to be bugged by the pay us money ads then by all means have at it. personally i am perfectly happy with subscriptions and new content every couple months. without having the developer begging me for money every 5 minutes.

heck personally the only one i think that really did it right was pangya. and they ended up going under and selling off to another company. but even they were pay to win honestly.

[Image: sapphirewolfSignature2.gif]

ianba
The little dude.
Recently Collected
PS3Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
PS3Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
PS3Mass Effect 3
October 10, 2013 05:57:48 PM   

I think the problem here is, these days, most people don't want to fork out lots of money at once. With 'proper' video games, you pay $70 (at least over here in NZ) and then that's it. Most people are busy and just don't have the time to play a 20 hour game. I;m thinking most people play in short bursts, instead of long dedicated sessions. 'Proper' video games just aren't designed for that so instead companies make crap simulation games where you pay to win.

Barbarossa
New Recruit
October 21, 2013 06:07:18 AM   

I did buy some skins once for LoL, but that was only cause i won some extra credit in a promotion of paysafecard. Generally i never pay for in game upgrades.Not in the so-called "free" online games that is. I understand that developers should make money in order to make the game really sweet, but there are a lot of scams out there too. Console games are a different story ofcourse. But as opposed to what Ianba said, I do want my game to be worth it`s money. A game you run though in 8 hours really is a waste of money in my opinion.

Zeruel
Andrew
Moderators
Recently Collected
inFamous: Second Son
VitaFinal Fantasy X HD Remaster
VitaFinal Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster
October 21, 2013 12:01:55 PM   

I'm personally against the movement to "Freemium" games where you get it for free, then pay to win or progress. It's a faulty system that, while many glorify those that succeed, end in 99.999% failure rate. This is ultimately a trend that seems to be growing with many of the AAA developers and needs to stop or we'll lose quality gaming experiences.

Make a quality game experience, people will pay dollar for it. At the same time, those who have voices in the gaming sphere need to stop giving low budget/indie games free passes and start critiquing.
Beyhan
Super Moderators
Recently Collected
PCF1 Race Stars
PCHotline Miami
PCBorderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty
October 27, 2013 10:27:38 AM   

(October 21, 2013 06:07:18 AM)Barbarossa Wrote:  I did buy some skins once for LoL, but that was only cause i won some extra credit in a promotion of paysafecard. Generally i never pay for in game upgrades.Not in the so-called "free" online games that is. I understand that developers should make money in order to make the game really sweet, but there are a lot of scams out there too. Console games are a different story ofcourse. But as opposed to what Ianba said, I do want my game to be worth it`s money. A game you run though in 8 hours really is a waste of money in my opinion.

I totally agree. The industry sure has changed from... heck, the N64 and PS1 era, when a game lasted more than 8 hours. The only time I will spend more for content, is when there is a continuation to the story, or something in a franchise I follow and I just have to buy it. For example, tracks in Gran Turismo 5.

PSN ID: juxtor
Twitter | Tumblr
[Image: 9aNAnKf.jpg]

branden
Unionite
Recently Collected
PS3L.A. Noire
October 27, 2013 01:37:24 PM   

Of course games should be paid for! Everyone needs money to survive, and if devs aren't making money on their games they will move on to something else that will.

As far as pay models go, we will see what wins out. I personally am not a fan of F2P games as it makes me feel at odds with the developer. I feel that F2P games are designed to swindle me, and I naturally feel antagonistic against the game and its design while playing an F2P game. That takes me out of the experience. I'd rather pay the dev up front, and not be suspect of the game's intentions.

I am fine with additional content, but it cannot be just cosmetic changes. I want more game. In the case of story driven games like Mass Effect or Bioshock, I want story DLC. If I am going to pay for more content, I am paying for more of what the main game offers as a package. Don't give me horse armor and new hair, give me more story, new levels, bosses, etc.

ianba
The little dude.
Recently Collected
PS3Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
PS3Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
PS3Mass Effect 3
October 27, 2013 05:33:04 PM   

Freemium games are designed to milk money out of you. The difference between a F2P and a 'proper' game is that, proper games, you pay for once, the initial fee. Then you can play that for however long you want. You don't need to pay money to play for, say 10 hours. F2P's, they are designed so that you keep paying them money. And if you don't they'll just make the game either, boring, or unplayable. They keep asking you for your money until you don't have any more. Remember a couple of years ago when that one kid, was left at home with an iPad and spent around 4 million dollars on in-app-purchases on that one Smurfs game?