EA have posted up an online service update, announcing that the publisher will be "retiring" quite a number of the older EA game servers, including servers for Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and the PSP version of Medal of Honor Airborne.
"The decisions to retire older EA games are never easy," says EA. "The development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them and it is hard to see one retired.
"But as games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles below a point -- fewer than 1% of all peak online players across all EA titles -- where it's feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running.
"We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99% of customers playing our more popular games. We hope you have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the games and we appreciate your ongoing patronage.
Here is the list of servers that will be shut down come August 11:
- ARMY OF TWOâ„¢ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- ARMY OF TWOâ„¢ Demo for Xbox 360
- Battlefield 2142â„¢ Demo for PC
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combatâ„¢ for Xbox 360
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combatâ„¢ Demo for Xbox 360
- Medal of Honor Airborneâ„¢ for PlayStation Portable
- Medal of Honor Heroesâ„¢ 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
- NASCAR® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America)
- NCAA® Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- NCAA® Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Need for Speedâ„¢ Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360
- Need for Speedâ„¢ Undercover for PlayStation Portable;
- SKATEâ„¢ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
October 1 will see these services retired:
- Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- NHL® 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360