Valkyria Revolution will release on the 27th of June in North America and on the 30th of June in Europe, SEGA has announced. The upcoming action RPG will be available on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
Valkyria Revolution's story is set in the wake of a revolution, as the Jutland's elite soldiers, the Vanargand, must band together to defeat the Ruzi Empire and stop death itself--the Valkyria. This grizzled anti-Valkyria squad is equipped with advanced mana weaponry and has the powerful ability to wield ragnite spells to combat this terrifying threat. The unit is comprised of soldiers who have a high affinity for ragnite, and even Jutland's own Princess Ophelia has joined the ranks. The princess carries the utmost love for her country and has answered the call of duty to liberate those who are suffering from the Ruzi's tyranny. However, Amleth Grønkjær, the commanding officer of Vanargand hides a terrible secret. Is he friend or foe to the country he has sworn to protect?
Though it bears the Valkyria name, Valkyria Revolution eschews the original series' traditional turn-based strategy and is a whole new entry with new characters, a new world, and new gameplay mechanics. The static, turn-based battlefield has become an action-oriented stage for devastating melee strikes, lethal ranged attacks, and strategic shifts to turn the tide of battle, all while exploring the incredible continent of Europa.
Here's the key features of Valkyria Revolution:
- A Brush with Death: Turning the tide of battle in Valkyria Revolution is Brunhilde, an ancient and powerful Valkyria, a fearsome being with near limitless power. She's bound by oath to the enemy forces, and players will have to discover how to defeat the incarnation of death itself.
- Prepare for Battle: Valkyria Revolution has a brand new battle system that mixes real-time combat and tactical strategy. Players can take control of the battlefield using brazen combos or cunning tactics. Finding a balance between them is the key to excelling in skirmishes.
- The Ingenuity of War: Through adversity comes great engineering, and with a besieged homeland, players will be able to upgrade their existing weapons through branching customization paths with ragnite.
- A New Painterly Look: Valkyria Revolution has a refined look thanks to the new GOUACHE rendering engine, giving the graphics a unique canvas texture.
- Classic Composer: Valkyria Revolution has a vibrant and dramatic soundtrack by the incredibly talented composer Yasunori Mitsuda, who is known for his work on Chrono Trigger and Stella Glow.
SEGA has also revealed a special edition for the game called the "Vanargand Edition", which will be available at no additional cost for those that pre-order the game or purchase one of the limited launch copies of the physical PS4 and Xbox One versions. Exclusive to North America, this special edition comes with a bold pin inscribed with the Vanargand's ferocious coat of arms, a 12-track soundtrack by the extremely talented Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Stella Glow), and a stunning outer box. Although European players won't get a chance to obtain the Vanargand Edition, those who pre-order the game will still receive the bonus soundtrack CD.
Valkyria Revolution will be available physically and digitally on PS4 and Xbox One, and as digital-only title for PS Vita. The game will be priced at $39.99.