After a long wait and several delays, Persona 5 has launched today in North America and Europe. To celebrate the fact Persona 5 is finally available in the west, Atlus has released the game's launch trailer.
If you have never heard of Persona 5 before, here’s an overview provided by Atlus:
The newest transfer student of Shujin Academy in Tokyo is a bad kid. Well, that's what the rumors say at least. The truth is that the protagonist of Persona 5 was framed for a crime he didn't commit by crooked authority figures in his hometown. Unfortunately, he's simply the victim of a corrupt system, and he must remain on this best behavior in order to avoid more trouble with society. This will DEFINITELY prove difficult because he soon discovers the power to travel into another world, known as the Metaverse, and change the most distorted desires of wicked people.
Persona 5 is a game about the internal and external conflicts of a group of troubled youth who live dual lives. They have the typically ordinary day-to-day of a Tokyo high-schooler - attending class, after school activities and part-time jobs. But they also undertake fantastical adventures by using otherworldly powers to enter the hearts of people. Their power comes from the Persona, the Jungian concept of the "self;" the game's heroes realize that society forces people to wear masks to protect their inner vulnerabilities, and by literally ripping off their protective mask and confronting their inner selves do the heroes awaken their inner power, and use it to strive to help those in need. Ultimately, the group of Phantom Thieves seeks to change their day-to-day world to match their perception and see through the masks modern-day society wears.
There are two special PS4 editions that players can pick up, a "Take Your Heart" premium edition and a SteelBook launch edition. The former will be priced at $89.99/CA$109.99 and comes with the following:
- Soundtrack CD: A selection of music from Persona 5 by legendary series composer Shoji Meguro in a CD wallet featuring P5 artwork.
- 4" Morgana plush: Morgana the cat is not just the mascot of the Phantom Thieves, but is also a member--and also not just a cat! The premium edition includes an exclusive 4" plush of Morgana.
- 64-page hardcover art book: This art book is full of concept sketches, character art, and more by character designer Shigenori Soejima.
- SteelBook: As strong as a vault, the game disc for the PS4 will come specially packaged in a SteelBook collectible case, emblazoned with Persona 5 designs.
- School bag: Designed after the traditional school bags in Japan, the exclusive replica bag comes complete with the Shujin Academy crest.
- Collectible outer box: Easily the largest premium edition in ATLUS' history, the entirety of the "Take Your Heart" Premium Edition comes in a colossal collectible box.
The SteelBook edition will be available through pre-orders and a limited number of day-one purchases, while supplies last, for $59.99/CA$79.99. As for the PS3 version, it will release in a regular game box, and will retail for $49.99/CA$59.99.
If you miss out on the premium or SteelBook editions, you'll still get a bonus by picking up the standard edition of the game, as it includes a DualShock 4 Wireless Controller skin. This stylish decal features a few members of the motley crew known as The Phantom Thieves, and is the perfect accompaniment for a long night of stealing hearts. The controller skin is available inside marked copies of the standard PS4 in the Americas while supplies last.