Studio MDHR announced during the Nintendo Switch Nindies Showcase Spring 2019 that Cuphead will be coming to Nintendo Switch on the 18th of April. In addition to the game’s launch on Switch, a major, free content update will also make its way to all versions of Cuphead (Xbox One, PC, Mac) on the same day.
The new free content update will add both fun surprises and longtime requested features such as: playable Mugman in single-player, new fully animated cutscenes, never-before-seen art and fight intros, ten additional languages, a plethora of bug fixes, and plenty of secrets for players to discover.
It's no secret that Cuphead is a direct descendent of retro action games like Contra on the NES, so it's surreal to finally have one of our own games on a Nintendo system. We’re beyond thrilled to be able to bring Cuphead to a brand new audience on Nintendo Switch. Playing the game on a console with such a big focus on local co-op really reminds Jared and I of our days gaming together as kids.
Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles. Inspired by cartoons of the 1930's, the visuals and audio are painstakingly created with the same techniques of the era, i.e. traditional cel animation (hand drawn & hand inked!), watercolor backgrounds, and original jazz recordings. Play as Cuphead or Mugman (in single player or co-op) as you traverse strange worlds, acquire new weapons, learn powerful super moves, and discover hidden secrets.
- Fast and challenging action, retro stylings with modern depth
- Huge, screen filling bosses
- A wide variety of wacky weapons, supers, and secrets
- Schmup levels sprinkled throughout to test your skill
- Amazing hand drawn art in '30s style
- Original jazz compositions, recorded live
- Irreverent and wacky sense of humor inspired by 30s cartoons
- Play as a guy with a cup for a head (or a mug)
- Simple enough to pick up and play, tuned for speed running
- Unique parry defense system
Cuphead will be available to purchase via Nintendo eShop for $19.99/£16.99/€19.99.