Developer Other Ocean Group has announced that Project Winter is leaving Early Access and getting a full launch on the 23rd of May.
When a cadre of eight are dropped in the frigid wilderness with nothing but the clothes on their backs and a log cabin to protect them from the elements, teamwork is essential to surviving the dropping temperatures and blood-thirsty wildlife. But what happens when slowly, but surely, it’s evident that not everyone in the group is out to prove that there is no “I” in team?
Project Winter is an 8-person multiplayer game focused on social deception and survival where players are randomly assigned to the role of Traitor or Survivor. Players must gather resources, repair structures, and brave the wilderness together - but beware of traitors within the group who will be steadily gaining strength as the match progresses and whose only goal is to stop the survivors by any means necessary. Communication and teamwork are essential to the survivors’ ultimate goal of escape.
Early Access was only the beginning for the developers at Other Ocean, who have implemented major upgrades and improvements to every area of the game over the last 3 months. These updates include a “Mass Hysteria” event which adds a further level of deception that makes it hard to tell friend from foe (as if it wasn’t hard enough!), Truth Serum to aid the survivors in rooting out their saboteurs, and more AI improvements than you can shake a pickaxe at! A more complete breakdown of improvements can be seen here.
- Escape to Survive - As a survivor amongst a group of strangers, you will have to collect resources, battle the elements and complete a series of tasks to call in one of several rescue vehicles.
- Hidden Roles - Amongst the group of survivors lurk hidden traitors. The traitors are known to each other but not the survivors. Their goal is to stop the survivors from escaping without being identified and killed.
- Teamwork - Survivors cannot escape unless they work together. Players who wander off on their own will have difficulty surviving the elements, can fall victim to hostile wildlife, or become easy targets for the traitors.
- Communication - There are several ways to communicate with other players, including proximity-based voice chat, private voice chat radio channels, text chat, and emotes - communication is vital if the survivors have any hope of completing their tasks and defending against the traitors.
- Betrayal & Deception - The traitors are outnumbered and weak when the game begins, they may infiltrate the survivors and earn their trust while they build up their strength. Survivors can never be 100% sure of who to trust. The traitors can take advantage of this by spreading lies and setting the survivors against each other.
Project Winter will release on the Steam Store, Humble Bundle, and Greenman Gaming for Windows PC, with controller support for $19.99.