SNK and Athlon Games announced that Samurai Shodown has launched today on PS4 and Xbox One.
Marking the first release in the franchise since 2008 and over 25 years since the release of the original, Samurai Shodown returns with its signature, unforgiving approach to weapons-based combat. This new Samurai Shodown “reboot” features a returning cast of 13 fan-favourite characters and 3 brand new characters at launch, further unlockable characters in the Season Pass, a range of competitive in-game modes and a true evolution to the fighting genre and the series in Dojo Mode.
Along with the traditional Versus Battle Mode, Samurai Shodown offers a range of modes for players to sink their blades into, including:
- Practice Mode: Players can learn the ropes in a tutorial and hone their skills in training mode.
- Online Mode: Friends and foes alike can battle online in a variety of competitive modes.
- Story Mode: Players can witness each character’s unique journey through 18th century Edo-period Japan as a new disaster threat looms over the land.
- Battle Mode: Host to a variety of challenges including Versus, Time Trial, Survival and Gauntlet modes, players looking to test their skills will be pushed to the limit here.
- Dojo Mode: After enough matches have been played, players can compete against their own ghost, other players’ ghosts, and then share their ghost data to online leaderboards.
A Season Pass offering is also available for Samurai Shodown, which will see further characters added to the roster over the coming months. Fans who purchase Samurai Shodown before June 30th will receive the Season Pass free of charge. SNK has also announced the full line-up of DLC characters that will be included in the season pass and released in the following order: Rimururu, Basara, Kazuki Kazama, and Wan-Fu.
Samurai Shodown will also be coming to PC and Nintendo Switch later this year.