SEGA and Nintendo have announced that Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 will feature a story mode in which our heroes will need to overcome their biggest challenge yet.
In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, Dr. Eggman and Bowser have formed a powerful alliance in their latest plot to defeat Mario and Sonic. Their plan? Unleashing Eggman's latest invention, the Tokyo '64 console that contains the power to pull users inside a 2D game themed around the Olympic Games Tokyo 1964. Will they ever safely return from the game world of 1964, and if so, how?
The game will allow players to experience lots of fun minigames that use familiar Tokyo landmarks in unexpected ways, like climbing Tokyo Tower, finding the yellow Toad at Shibuya Scramble, and seeing if Sonic can out-race a bullet train. You'll also learn fun trivia (Did you know the new stadium roof is made of material collected from each prefecture of Japan?), unlock hidden characters, and explore the different venues of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and 1964!
- Brand New Story: Help Mario & Sonic escape from a 2D-themed console, the "Tokyo '64."
- 10 Classic 2D Events: Experience Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games in a brand-new way with classic 2D versions of 10 events from the Olympic Games Tokyo 1964.
- Plus, New 3D Events: Surfing, Skateboarding, Karate, and Sport Climbing add to the other 17 seminal 3D events already represented. With so many options to choose from, everyone has a sporting chance!
- Many Ways to Play: Exclusively on Nintendo Switch, determine who the real champion is while using the fun and flexibility of Joy-Con controllers to your advantage.
- Split-Screen and Online Fun: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 delivers multiplayer, both local split-screen and online, fun for all ages and groups.
- Play with a Cast of Fan-Favorite Characters: Choose from the star-studded Mario & Sonic family, including Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Peach, Amy, Dr. Eggman, Yoshi, Tails, Metal Sonic, Donkey Kong and more!
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 will launch on Nintendo Switch on the 5th of November in North America, and on the 8th of November in Europe.